Cotton Industry Success Depends On
Dedication And Service Of Volunteer Leaders
Lubbock, June 24, 2011 By Shawn Wade
The success of the High Plains cotton industry, like any group effort, is directly tied to the willingness of qualified individuals to volunteer to serve in various leadership positions.
To identify these volunteers the High Plains cotton industry caucuses each year with other cotton groups within Texas to identify producers interested in serving as a volunteer leader.
In preparation for this year's caucus Plains Cotton Growers, Inc., encourages all qualified individuals interested in representing the High Plains as a representative to the Cotton Board, National Cotton Council of America (NCC) or Cotton Incorporated to contact PCG Executive Vice President Steve Verett to request additional information and learn more about the opportunities that exist for volunteer service.
PCG officials note that each year a variety of volunteer positions within the NCC and Cotton Incorporated are filled directly through the industry's caucus process.
In addition to naming representatives to the NCC and Cotton Incorporated, PCG and the Texas cotton industry also work together to identify and nominate qualified individuals to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture for possible appointment as a Member or Alternate on the Cotton Board.
Qualified individuals interested in serving on the Cotton Board, which oversees the highly successful U.S. Cotton Research & Promotion Program, are also encouraged to contact Verett at the PCG office in Lubbock, Texas to request additional information. PCG's telephone number is 806-792-4904.
To be a qualified producer nominee for the Cotton Board, an individual should be actively engaged in cotton production at the time of nomination, be committed to the mission of the Cotton Board and the Cotton Research and Promotion Program and have demonstrated leadership skills and experience.
Through the nomination process the Cotton Board encourages groups given the responsibility of identifying candidates to promote diversity and ensure equal opportunity and inclusion for all individuals who qualify as a producer nominee for consideration by the Secretary.
"Whether it is a nomination to serve on the Cotton Board or appointment to a leadership position within the National Cotton Council or Cotton Incorporated, the membership of Plains Cotton Growers has proven to be fertile ground for leaders within our industry," Verett said. "Our industry owes much to the dedicated men and women who step forward to serve their fellow producers. We look forward to extending that tradition of leadership in the years ahead."
Potential GPS Interference Still Problematic
In Wireless Broadband Proposal
Lubbock, June 24, 2011 By Mary Jane Buerkle
Plains Cotton Growers, Inc., continues to follow the situation regarding wireless broadband provider LightSquared and potential interference with the Global Positioning System.
LightSquared's goal is to build out a nationwide 4G ancillary terrestrial component (ATC) network that would cover 260 million people in the United States by 2014. In January, the FCC granted LightSquared a conditional waiver, which allowed them to proceed with the project in a limited fashion while a working group conducted research to determine whether the LightSquared network and GPS can coexist with no interference. The deadline for that report was originally June 15 but was extended to July 1 after a request from LightSquared.
According to a news article from Bloomberg, LightSquared CEO Sanjiv Ahuja said Monday that they would alter their original plan and use different airwaves, which he said would resolve interference concerns for 99.5 percent of all GPS receivers in the United States. However, that remaining 0.5 percent includes precision GPS receivers such as those used in agricultural equipment.
"If these interference concerns aren't completely resolved, this potentially could be a massive issue for precision agriculture," PCG Executive Vice President Steve Verett said. "We have got to have 100 percent assurance that this new technology will not affect any GPS receivers."
PCG will monitor this issue and keep you updated on any developments.
To Keynote SWCA Annual Banquet
The Southwest Council of Agribusiness will host their 4th Annual Meeting on July 21 and 22 at the Overton Hotel & Conference Center in Lubbock. SWCA is a regional organization supported by agribusiness, financial institutions, and commodity groups from Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico.
One of the highlights of the meeting will be the Annual Banquet, scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, July 21. Keynote speaker will be House Agriculture Committee Chairman Frank Lucas (R-OK). Seating is limited, but tickets are still available. For pricing and more information, contact Jimmy Clark at (806) 790-6011 or (806) 853-8488, or email email@example.com.
A complete schedule for the SWCA Annual Meeting will be in next week's Cotton News.